situated on the River Schuylkill'
seat of the Pemberton family served as quarters for occupying British
troops during the Revolutionary War and later served as a naval
hospital until the construction of the Naval Asylum. In Shippen,
Edward, M. D., U.S.N., "Some Account of the Origin of the Naval
Asylum at Philadelphia," Pennsylvania Magazine of History
and Biography, VII, No. 2 (1883), pp. 117ff. Library Company
from the built-up portions of the city, and close to the banks of
the beautiful Schuylkill, then unfettered and undammed, it was considered
entirely as a country residence for the summer, quite as much so
as would be the neighborhood of Bryn Mawr of Chestnut Hill to-day.
It appears never to have been a farm or 'plantation,' in the usually
accepted sense, being always small in acreage, and taken up with
lawn, shrubbery, and extensive kitchen gardens, with some wood….[T]he
house, though unpretending , was of a substantial character, roomy
and respectable. It was built of brick, the kitchen and offices
being in a basement, which had large windows opening upon an area.
A fine hall ran through the main floor, with two handsome rooms
on each side. Above were corresponding rooms, under a sloping roof,
with large dormer windows, the apex being crowned by a balcony….Two
brick tenant, or servants' houses, of rather prim construction and
solid build, stood near the mansion to the north. These remained
until near the time that the mansion itself was demolished. Altogether
'Plantation' must have been a very complete and attractive residence."